Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Topoi Tactic

As the television industry is continuously changing the topic for my paper # 3 continues to as well. I used the Topoi tool to help me to brain storm my thoughts on television demographics, to figure out how I should go about writing my paper. The first Topoi tool that I used was contrast. I came up with magazines, and books, then I had to figure out television’s values. I realized that their views can be unethical at times because it is easily able to persuade people into believing certain things. It reflects a change in the way that we receive news, entertainment and way we spend our time, and how the networks structure their format for their shows. Television has affected how networks structure the format for their shows. Television has affected the way that society functions by showing how to act, and what to wear.

Next was cause and effect, this allows for the networks to have a focus on and organization for each one of their shows and how hey create and grow there audience this allows for a better understanding with the networks and what their audiences want. Change is the third step that I took in forming my thoughts. I realized that television networks have had to change the ways they create an audience, they have to develop outside sources to keep their viewers connected at all times. Throughout the years more networks have developed on cable that have created a niche market that allows them to have a focus on who is watching their shows. My final step that I took was to figure out the form/structure. I concluded that more networks are forming which creates more options for the viewers to choose what they want to watch and ultimately makes the networks work harder to attract their viewers to get the ratings. The different television shows attract different demographics, and each network also ahs different ways that they use to create strong fan bases, with websites being the most popular.

After using this tool to look at my topic more closely I have created a new approach on how to format my essay. I have decided to focus on why 18 to 34 year olds are so important on television and how are the different networks changing to create that stronger fan base.

No comments:

Post a Comment