Monday, April 6, 2009

Widgetbox

Until this semester the word widget seemed to be a foreign word, and then once I found out what it was I felt that it would be no use to me. After finding out that this mini-web application can also be added to my blog or social network site to provide me with quick information related to a particular subject has changed my world. To me this device is shockingly interesting since I did not realize that it would actually have use to me. Not only did I not know about widgets, but I did not realize that they had sites specifically dedicated to widgets. The widget that I found is located on the Widgetbox website. This site has hundreds of widgets to choose from and categorizes them in to specific tags such as “family”, “games”, “movies” and “sports”, or you can type in any topic into the “Find Widgets” box. Having so many widgets on this site is not as over-whelming as it may seem since they also categorize it into “Hottest Widgets”, “Featured Widgets”, “New Widgets”, and “All Time Favorites”. Finding widgets is not the only thing you can do on this site, you can even create your own widget! This simple format lays out the entire process as to how to create your very own widget.

After exploring around on this widgetbox site I found a widget that is helpful to not only me but to everyone else who finds my topic on television demographics interesting. The name of it is called Advertising Age, with an emphasis on MediaWorks. The word advertising may seem like it does not have anything to with television demographics but in fact it does. The television networks rely a vast amount of their revenue on the participation of different advertisers. This widget covers the latest media news, analysis and data, and is focused on educating media planners, buyers and owners. The advertising is all types that include magazine, broadcast, print, television, and marketing.

The step-by-step process of how this application works is to first click on the Advertising Age widget application. It will take you to a page where you can post a comment or read comments about the application. You are able to choose from a number of different color backgrounds for the widget, and read a summary on what the application is about. It also shows you what other widgets you might be interested in as well. Once you explore through this page you click on the green “Get Widget” button, and it will take you to a page with just the widget where you follow the directions on how to add the widget to your Facebook, MySpace, Blogger or any other application that you want your new widget to be accessable at. In order to add it to your blog or webpage it provides you with a code to paste on to your page. The only problem that I experienced is trying to get it onto your Facebook page. I tried several times and I could not get it to show up on my page. Fortunatley Widgetbox does a great job at providing a “Help” link to click on along with “About”, and “Share”.

This widget is great because I will be able to see and read about up to minute news on how advertising is changing in this digital world. This is also something that will help my viewers become more knowledgeable about this changing industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment